At Starboard and SOMWR we are well aware that all businesses have an impact on the environment.
We also know that the first step towards reducing our negative impact, is to understand exactly what damage we are doing. Once we know our impact we can direct our energy towards reducing and then offsetting it through mangrove planting and plastic waste collection. Right now, in July 2022, we are sharing Starboard and SOMWR’s CO2 Emissions reduction plan. Helping to reduce our emissions before we utilise mangroves to offset the emissions 10 times over, helping us to become a Carbon Neutral company.
Firstly let’s take a look at some things already in place to reduce Starboard and SOMWR’s CO2 emissions:
- Installing solar that powers our company up to 100%, removing our reliance on fossil fuel electricity in the daylight hours.
- Packaging is made from FSC and Recycled paper and cardboard. Offering a better end of life solution.
- Our smaller sizes of packaging reduce shipment space, reducing the number of container shipments and lowering travel weight.
- Reducing packaging size also means a reduction in material use.
- The food waste initiative at our Headquarters diverts food scraps from going to landfills. Instead, composting waste and using it on farms for fertiliser.
- By increasing the number of virtual meetings and reducing the number of face-to-face meetings, we can reduce travel emissions.
- Through Research and Development, we can use recycled materials, bio-based materials, less production-intensive materials and manufacturing processes that produce less waste.
What is in store for Starboard and SOMWR’s CO2 Reduction Plan:
- Use of lower CO2 emitting materials used in our products.
- Working with suppliers to use renewable energy.
- End-of-life solution to reuse the materials or recycle them into new products. With the support of working with sporting industry federations.
- Less travel for raw materials to the production factory. For example, in 2022 SOMWR moved their production to Turkey, where the organic cotton is also grown.
- SOMWR has shifted to a Hybrid working schedule to bring teams together 3 times a week in the office and then to allow home working for the remainder of the week. Reducing travel when compared to a 5-day working week in the office.
- The introduction of electric company vehicles will start when there is a suitable option in Thailand for the needs of the business.
- The development of innovative materials to be used in products will always continue. Right now, our Product Managers are exploring many materials that reduce their impact on the environment.
Keep your eye’s peeled for more updates in the near future!
Have any ideas on how to help us with our Carbon Reduction Plan?
Please feel free to reach out with any recommendations to email@example.com!